Office: 8223 Gates Building
I am a PhD graduate from Machine Learning Department, Carnegie Mellon University.
I work on active search, which is a set of algorithms that help users find all positive
examples in an unknown environment by selecting queries and learning from their label feedback.
Usually, the labels are costly.
My research aims to use active search for complex tasks where the queries and rewards
are not necessarily directly related.
My work enabled many new applications in information discovery, social science, and robotics. While solving these problems, I also built theoretical insights using spectral graph theories, regret analysis, combinatorial optimization, information theory, and more.
Concepts in interactive machine learning can help/has helped us better understand passive machine learning. Conversely, successes from passive learning can inspire active systems to handle more sophisticated applications. My hope is to bring the best of both worlds to build new applications.
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Search for Sparse Signals with Region Sensing. AAAI 2017. [paper] [poster] [arxiv]
- Yifei Ma, Tzu-Kuo Huang, Jeff Schneider. Active Search and Bandits on Graphs Using Sigma-Optimality. UAI 2015. [paper] [codes] [spotlight] [poster]
- Yifei Ma, Dougal J. Sutherland, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Pointillistic Pattern Search. AISTATS 2015. Two Shared Lead Authors. [paper] [supp] [spotlight] [poster]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Area Search via Bayesian Quadrature. AISTATS 2014. [paper]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Sigma-Optimality for Active Learning on Gaussian Random Fields. NIPS 2013. [paper] [codes] [poster]
- Guangyu Xia, Tongbo Huang, Yifei Ma, Roger B. Dannenberg, Christos Faloutsos. MidiFind: Similarity Search and Popularity Mining in Large MIDI Databases. CMMR 2013: 259-276.
Yifei Ma, Li Li, Xiaolin Huang, Shuning Wang, Robust Support Vector Machine Using Least Median Loss Penalty, Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, Volume 18, Part 1, 2011.
- Yifei Ma. Data Analysis Project: Sigma-Optimality for Active Learning on Gaussian Random Fields. [paper]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider, Andrew Gordon Wilson. Fast Bayesian Optimization via Conjugate Sampling. NIPS 2016 Workshop on Practical Bayesian Nonparametric. [paper] [workshop] [poster]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Search for Sparse Signals with Region Sensing. ICML 2016 Workshop on Data-Efficient Machine Learning. [paper] [workshop]
- Yifei Ma, Dougal J. Sutherland, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Pointillistic Pattern Search. NIPS 2014 Workshop on Bayesian Optimization.
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Submodularity in Batch Active Learning and Survey Problems on Gaussian Random Fields. NIPS 2012 Workshop on DISCML.
Citadel LLC. Quantitative Researcher Intern. 5/2014-8/2014 at Chicago.
- Feature design and analysis for market value prediction.
- Bayesian methods for low-frequency predictions.
Ph.D. Student in Machine Learning, Carnegie Mellon University, 8/2011-now.
- Advised by Research Professor Jeff Schneider.
B.S. in Automation, Dual B.S. in Mathematics, Tsinghua University, 8/2007-7/2011.
- 1st GPA in Automation by the time of graduate school application.
- Totally 11 students dual majored in Mathematics in a class of 3000+ students.
Exchange Study (Credits Transferred), Georgia Inst. of Technology, 8/2009-12/2009.
- A rare opportunity given to only 6 students university-wide.
Honors and Awards
- 2007-2010, 1st Level Academic Scholarship every year in Tsinghua University;
- 10/2009, 31/700 in IEEEXtreme 24-Hour Programming Competition (team leader);
- 10/2006, 1st prize in National High School Physics Competition;
- 03/2006, Qualified for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (no further award for foreigners);
- 10/2004, 1st prize in National High School Math Competition (over 2 years younger than most others).
- Joined student volunteer group for over 10 years;
- Served as a regular campus guide for visitors in Tsinghua University;
- Volunteered for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games (in medal ceremonies as a winning national flag raiser).
Student Activities and Hobbies
- Editor for Tsinghua Student Psychology Club Journal;
- Member of Campus Tour Guide Association;
- Member of Tsinghua Honor Guard (to display and escort the national flag on ceremonial occasions);
- Classical Chinese Philosophy like the Analects (Confucius) and Tao Te Qing (Lao-tzu);
- Piano, swimming, running, and wall climbing.